Huntington Hospital’s board-certified, fellowship-trained breast cancer oncologists, radiologists, and surgeons are a leading team, with a dedicated clinical support group fiercely devoted to fighting breast cancer.
Our program was founded in 1998 when several doctors from surgical oncology, pathology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, and breast radiology came together to establish an integrated program with the latest advances in diagnostic imaging, breast surgery, medical oncology and radiation therapy.
Through our partnership with the Jim and Eleanor Randall Breast Center, we offer expertise in breast MRI, CT, ultrasound and nuclear medicine.
Meet your Team
Board-certified, fellowship-training breast cancer specialists at our location.
Ruth C. Williamson, M.D., specializes in treating breast cancer, including developing psychosocial support programs for breast cancer patients and their families. She brings over two decades’ experience and a host of awards to City of Hope, along with a powerful motivation to improve the lives of her patients. Dr. Williamson earned her medical degree at University of Southern California, then completed her internship at VA Long Beach Hospital, Long Beach, California. Returning to USC, she rose to Chief Resident, then joined Huntington Memorial Hospital where she spent 20 years as Medical Director of Radiation Oncology and 13 years as Medical Director of Breast Cancer Services. Dr. Williamson is focused on increasing her patients’ cure rates through cutting-edge, state-of-the-art treatment. “No matter what your situation with breast cancer,” she insists, “there’s hope.”
Dr. Polverini leads the breast surgery program at the Huntington Hospital Cancer Center. She says that starting as medical director of breast surgery feels like coming full circle – she was born in Pasadena and both her sons were born at Huntington Hospital and received life-saving care in the Huntington NICU.
Dr. Polverini received her B.S. from Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, where she was the recipient of multiple honors and awards including a scholarship from the Department of Biology Bioethics and Science Research Fellowship at USC Keck School of Medicine. She went on to receive her medical doctorate from Keck School of Medicine, which included a surgery rotation at Huntington Hospital. She completed a general surgery residency at Harbor UCLA, and training in breast surgical oncology at City of Hope.
Dr. Polverini is board certified by the American Board of Surgery and has additional training as a physician consultant in wound care. She is also actively involved in breast cancer clinical research.
Jim & Eleanor Randall Breast Center Radiologists
Our integrative oncology nurse practitioner Suzie Kline, NP works closely with the patient’s entire medical team through active treatment and afterwards. She offers a variety of Eastern medicine and holistic therapies which help to alleviate some of the side effects of therapy. Please see the integrative oncology section for more information about our integrative oncology nurse and integrative oncology program.
Additional practitioners include:
- Breast Nurse Navigators: Our breast nurse navigators guide you every step of the way, from the moment you become our patience, you are connected with an RN navigator who will answer all your questions and help coordinate every aspect of your care.
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers: Our social worker acts as a patient advocate, providing one-on-one therapy to not only the patient but their families as well. She is able to coordinate psychological services including prevention, diagnosis, survivorship, terminal care and bereavement counseling.
- Oncology Certified Dietitian: Our dietitian offers nutritional counseling through the assessment of each individual patient’s needs during treatment and therapy.
- Licensed Clinical Cosmetologist: Our cosmetologist is available by appointment on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in our Appearance Center, to assist patients in addressing changes in appearance that can accompany cancer-related treatment. This may include help with selecting a wig or head covering, and skin care suggestions.
- Physical Therapist: Our physical therapist has specialized training in the treatment and management of lymphedema. They also facilitate a monthly review class for signs and symptoms, risk factors, and do’s and don’ts for managing lymphedema and its side-effects.
- Radiation Therapists
- Symptom Management Nurses
- Oncology Certified Counselor
- Oncology Research Specialists
- Physician Acupuncturist
Many of the physicians who have medical staff privileges to practice medicine at Huntington Hospital are independent physicians, and not employees or agents of the hospital. These independent physicians bill separately for their services. You should contact your physician to determine their status and billing practices.