The new graduate RN Residency Program is designed to support the new graduate hired at Huntington Hospital in the RN’s transition from advanced beginner to competent professional. There is no application process for the Nurse Residency Program. The new graduate hired at Huntington Hospital is automatically enrolled in the program, as an overlay to orientation.
Our RN Nurse Residency Program builds upon previous undergraduate nursing education and clinical competencies. The program consists of a series of learning and work experiences designed to assist the new graduate nurse in the transition to their first professional role and become leaders at the patient’s bedside.
The 12-month program includes a centralized onboarding process and orientation, department-specific content and skill development, preceptor and leadership support.
Residents attend seminars designed to address specific transitions through the first year of practice as a novice nurse.
The seminar topics include:
- Critical thinking
- Patient safety-minimizing risk
- Evidence-based practice
- Professional development
New Graduate RN Nurse Residency Commitment
Each new graduate nurse resident accepted into the program will be expected to:
- Commit to full-time employment for the duration of the program, with continued employment for two years
- Adhere to all hospital guidelines as a member of the professional nursing staff
- Develop and utilize peer and leadership relationships to support professional development
- Participate actively in general and specialized training experiences
- Complete program evaluations for purposes of improvement and outcome data
Huntington Hospital’s Nurse Residency Program is accredited with distinction as a Practice Transition Program by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation in Practice Transition Programs for the following specialty units:
- Critical Care
- Definitive Observation Unit
- New Grad Float pool
Huntington Hospital RN Residency programs are developed in the following areas:
- Neonatal ICU
- Medical Surgical Telemetry
- Medical Surgical
- Operating Room
The Residency program offers Spring and Fall start dates. Start dates and position availability is dependent on unit specific hiring needs. New Grad RN positions posted at Huntington Hospital careers page prior to the start of each program.
Questions? (see FAQ)
Contact us. Huntington Hospital Residency Program:
Angelica Acosta – RN Residency Program Coordinator