Internal Medicine - FAQ

Why should I choose Huntington?

Huntington provides the best of both academic and community medicine. Huntington residents work in a beautiful, state of the art, 626 bed hospital, and are taught by faculty who also hold appointments at the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine. Our Internal Medicine Residency Program maintains continuous accreditation from the ACGME.

What is Huntington's reputation as a hospital?

What if I want exposure to a university based program?

Each resident has the opportunity to rotate at the LAC+USC Medical Center for three months in various subspecialties. Away rotations can also be arranged at other academic centers.

What about fellowships?

Huntington has an excellent match rate for fellowships. In fact, over the last 5 years 100% of resident that have applied have successfully matched in the fellowship of their choice.

What is your patient mix like?

We see patients with a variety of diagnoses and socioeconomic backgrounds. About 70% of the patients that our residents care for are indigent, uninsured or Medi-Cal (Medicaid). Huntington residents see pathology, rare complications of common diseases, and rare diseases as often as do residents in university-based programs. The remaining 30% of patients seen by our residents have insurance. The care that both of these groups of patients receive, and the autonomy that the residents have in giving that care, is identical. Residents exercise 100% of the control over management of all of their patients.

What will my call schedule be?

The call schedule is every 8th night when on the medicine service, and averages every 12th night on other services. Adjustments to the 2011 ACGME Duty Hour requirements have been made by adding a float service with a 4 days on, 4 days off schedule. Most residents find our call schedule very reasonable which affords them excellent work -life balance.

What is a call night like?

The on-call team consists of a resident, an intern, and a medical student. In addition admissions, the residents also cover all codes in the hospital, providing them extensive experience in procedures including central lines and intubations.

What are the opportunities for research?

Residents can do clinical research with Huntington faculty, at the Huntington Medical Research Institute, or with other private clinical research programs locally. Residents interested in bench research can collaborate with researchers at neighboring Cal Tech, or at USC. Each resident is expected to complete a publishable research project as a graduation requirement. Please see Resident Research for more information.

What are the opportunities for outpatient experiences at Huntington?

The Huntington Outpatient Clinic ("The Dispensary") was created 100 years ago to provide primary and sub-specialty care to the medically underserved members of our community. Residents have a weekly half-day medicine clinic in which they serve as the primary care doctors for a panel of patients that they will care for throughout their three years of residency. Each resident also has two one month Dispensary rotations during which the resident covers many of the sub-specialty clinics. Residents have the opportunity to rotate with Huntington Health Physicians where they will gain experience in a typical private practice setting.

What opportunities are there to learn about global medicine?

Residents have an opportunity to participate in Huntington's Phil Simon Clinic Tanzania Project in which medical volunteers travel to Arusha, Tanzania to provide medical care to adults and children with HIV and other illnesses.

What are the other benefits of being a resident at Huntington?

Current and former residents list the exceptional faculty, and the close relationships that residents form with them, as Huntington's best feature. The beautiful working environment and friendly, supportive staff is also another favorite feature.

Residents enjoy the comfort of having their own call room for their entire residency.

See House Staff Stipends and Benefits.